Monday, January 13, 2014

:) God is good all the time.

Hey Fam!

So, I was very sad to see Elder Rodriguez leave to Billings but am very happy about my new companion, Elder McCandless!  He was actually in the MTC with me and I know him quite well because he had been serving in Livingston for the past 3 months.  We teach well together and he really does everything he can to enjoy the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost so once again I am excited for the miracles we will get to be a part of this transfer.  

We were able to meet with Drew again this week and discuss the Gospel as explained in the Bible.  We had an excellent discussion and I just loved how the Spirit brought scriptures to mind that I have not thought of in a while.  Through the Bible we were able to show him and the Spirit testified of the true nature of the Godhead.  He is in a place where he is teachable and I look forward to meeting with him in the future.

We also had some excellent lessons with Brad, Mike, and Ty.  All of which are preparing themselves for baptism.  They are all doing the things the Lord requires to receive the Gospel and additional witnesses that it is true.  It really is exciting to be able to be a witness of this great work.

I know I have talked a bunch on the power of our words before but Mom was talking about her experiences and I feel I should share what I have been learning.  We are so powerful and really cannot in our current state grasp what we are capable of.  I have successfully eliminated the word "Hate" from my vocabulary and it has changed everything.  I am quite the advocate of positive words with missionaries and at first they dislike the criticism but after a few weeks they tell me I have cursed them because whenever someone says hate they cringe because they are starting to understand what that person is attracting to themselves.  The way I let them know is they will say something like, "I hate it when that happens!" or "I hate the snow!" & i'll just say, "Wow that's a really strong feeling towards some snow"  Or something like that and they are starting to get it.  I invite all of you to consciously evaluate how much you use the word hate and make an attempt to eliminate it.  You will see a difference in yourselves and in others.  I have also noticed all over the scriptures that things happen because someone said something.  The Power of words is unmeasurable.  Look in Matthew chapter 1 & 2 how Christ moves around the ancient world in his childhood so that, "...it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets..." Matt 2:23.  In the Book of Mormon Nephi talks about God and the Power of Words. 1 Nephi 17:31 says, "And it came to pass that according to his words he did destroy them; and according to his word he did lead them; and according to his word he did do all things for them; and there was not anything done save it were by his word."  We learn about the Power of Words all over scripture but I especially enjoy what it says in Jacob chapter 4:9, "For behold, by the power of his word man came upon the face of the earth, which earth was created by the by the power of his word..."  This always makes me think that if we are joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:16-17) then how powerful are the words we use? I Am always looking for specific things I can focus on to help me be more like my Savior and I have found that, even though it is very difficult, controlling my words has a world of a difference on me and those I serve.  

We have Mission Leadership Council in Helena tomorrow so we get to take a little road trip!  I love the scenery here and look forward to these drives.  Lately the weather has been looking like San Diego weather ( Sunny, Clear blue skies) but then I will try to roll down the windows and drive like at home and be quickly reminded that it is freezing outside.  It's all good though at least i'm getting some sun :)

Thanks for all your love and support.  I truly do feel strengthened by your prayers.  

Love,
Elder Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment