Thursday, November 6, 2014

Getting Cold!

Hey Fam!

This week was so awesome! It is really starting to cool down here! Most of the leaves on the trees have lost over 50% of their leaves and the mountains are starting to be covered in snow. I almost forgot how early it gets dark here. With the time change yesterday it was dark at about 6! 

I am just amazed at the ways God continues to teach me all I need to learn. I feel like the learning never ends! I have really been pondering a serious question over the past few weeks and even months. I love knowing that God answers my prayers but I have learned, for the most part, that He does not give me personal and direct answers. Most of my prayers are answered in pondering and searching for ways to help others find answers to the questions they have.  I have really pondered the reason of why this is. A little bit ago a missionary was counseling with me and asked me the same question and we decided to make it a matter of study to search the scriptures and words of living prophets to get the answer to our question. In my hour of personal study each day I typically read for 20 minutes out of the Book of Mormon, New Testament, and Preach My Gospel. In the New Testament I am in 1 Corinthians and I feel I received the answer to this question while reading chapter 13. I believe the answer is so we can have Charity.  Chapter 13 gives a pretty incredible list of things you can have and not have Charity.  Moroni teaches us that Charity is the pure love of Christ and this kind of love endures forever.  I had an incredible confirmation from the Holy Ghost that we will only have Charity if we serve others and that is why God most often answers our prayers through others.  Charity is not something that we possess but rather something that possesses us.  No wonder our Prophet, President Monson, has said, "Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives." 

My challenge to all of you this week is to help me in this study!  I would love to hear your thoughts and personal experience with Charity and prayer.  I am so grateful for all of you and for the great support you are to me :)  Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment