Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Remember

Hey Fam!

I love all of your thoughts on what it means to remember what the Lord has done for us! Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts, I will add all I received into my study journal :)  I am always looking for formulas in the scriptures. I have been pondering the ways we can protect ourselves from falling off the path. I'm now reading I. The book of Helaman and it hit me a couple weeks ago WHAT we can all do to always stay on the path.  Lehi, as he is preparing to die, gives counsel to his children.

 In 2 Nephi 1:12-13 he says,
 
"12 Yea, as one generation passeth to another there shall be bloodsheds, and great visitations among them; wherefore, my sons, I would that ye would remember; yea, I would that ye would hearken unto my words.

13 O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe."

What are these "chains" that Lehi is talking about? How do we prevent ourselves from being bound by them?

When Alma and Amulek are contending with Zeezrom Alma says how important it is to have an open mind and then explains what the "chains of hell" are. He says,
 
"11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell." Alma 12:11

The key to keeping ourselves free and on the right path is knowledge and our integrity to the knowledge we have.

I wrote down a giant list of scriptures that I have seen in my reading and was going to include them in this email BUT the list has disappeared.. I think I lost it when we were shopping earlier.  But it's okay. 

 
Ultimately when we remember what the Lord has done for us and all those who have lived with and before us we end up living in a state of gratitude.  President Uchtdorf said, "Gratitude is a catalyst to ALL Christlike attributes." 

I know when we remember the things the Lord has done for us we always keep our eye on the "Mark".  It doesn't mean we never fall or make mistakes..  it does mean when trials come we will turn to the Lord.  The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to turn one to the Lord.  I feel this is why I was inspired to invite you all to read it a while ago.  My invitation to you all is to pay attention in your personal reading to each time the scriptures talk about remembering anything and really try to understand what they are saying.  There are examples ALL OVER in the Book of Mormon!  For example, as Mormon is writing in the book of Helaman he recounts the words of Helaman to his sons, Nephi and Lehi.  The words are recorded in Helaman Chapter 5:5-12.  In just these short 8 verses the word "remember" is said 14 times!  Just these 8 verses alone can change a persons life.  Please take time and read them :)

I have so many things going through my mind but the greatest of all is gratitude.  I am so grateful to have been able to serve a mission.  This is the most amazing thing I have ever done!  We have 7 people currently preparing to be baptized in March and it is so amazing to see each of them progress in their own conversion process.

I am thankful to all of you for your great love and support!  I love you all,
Elder Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment