Friday, September 19, 2014

Cooling down here


Hey Fam!

Wow this week was awesome!  It is starting to really cool down here at night.  We went hiking a bunch last week in the mornings and its cold enough to see your breath which means winter is just around the corner.  Everything has not started changing color yet but things look like they are about to.  I'm stoked for fall though because it seriously is beautiful here :)
I had so many crazy answers to prayer this week. I do not have much time today but will share just one thing that came while reading the Book of Mormon.  I have been pondering why people get mad at God and why they do not accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I believe it is all about perspective.  When we serve God, read the scriptures, pray, do the things we have been taught to do since we were children we are able to truly see the hand of the Lord in our lives.  The fundamental thing that seems to push people away is their belief that they are put through trials so God can look down at them and laugh as they suffer.  They do not understand who God is and why we are given trials.  I was reading in 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon and these 2 verses hit me like a ton of bricks, 

"23 For behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you that the Lord God worketh not in darkness.
 24 He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for He loveth the world, even that He layeth down His own life that He may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, He commandeth none that they shall not partake of His salvation." 

I know that this is true.  As a missionary I get to see and help so many people who are in the thick of problems in their life.  Every single person who makes time to read the scriptures, pray, and go to church has come to know this is true as well.  I invite all of you this week to consider how great God is to you and the many things he has done for you.  It truly is an overwhelming thing to think of but it also is the most humbling thing I know.  Also, I invite you to think of the trials he has given you and do your best to prayerfully put yourself in His shoes and try to understand why He would allow you to go through such intense hardships.  I promise you will come to know that EVERYTHING He does is out of love and will all work out for our benefit. 
I am so grateful for all of you and the great support you are to me, Have an excellent week!

Love,
Elder Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment