Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Christmas Zone Conference!

Hey Fam!
This week was incredible!  I learned so much it was ridiculous!  We had our Christmas zone conference and it was so much fun.  Elder Bishop was dressed up as Santa and we had lots of fun.  I don't think Santa normally acts that way but it was hilarious :)
The whole Conference was centered on Christ and outlined the principles of Joy, Faith in Jesus Christ, and putting on the armor of God.  I thought this was really cool because I have been studying these topics like crazy over the past few months.  I would really encourage you all to study the words Joy and Happiness in the scriptures.  The word Happiness appears 28 times in the standard works.  once in the Doctrine and Covenants. Once in the Pearl of Great Price and 26 times in the Book Of Mormon.  There are really amazing formulas attached to it everywhere it is mentioned too :)
But what I have been really thinking about is the spiritual "Armor" that we all wear daily.  Last week I was reading in in Alma chapter 60 and noticed something really interesting.  This is where Moroni is writing his letter to Pahoran because Pahoran has not sent him any supplies or troops to aid him in his war efforts.  Verse 21 says, " Or do ye suppose that the Lord will still deliver us, while we sit upon our thrones and do not make use of the means which the Lord has provided for us?" I have been thinking so much about the armor that I put on each day.  This scripture, to me at least, helps me understand that most of the time God gives us opportunities to do things rather than just give us things.  We are not here on earth to be led by the hand but we do have a Father in Heaven who is a God and has given us all we need to succeed here in this life.  Over the past 2 years I have slowly been learning that in order for me to be happy throughout an entire day there are some things I need to do.  Specifically in the morning I have learned that I need to pray, exercise, read the scriptures, and review and pray about my plans for that day.  If I don't do one of these things my day never seems to go as well as it could have.  I have also committed to listen to a General Conference talk every single time I take a shower.  I have been doing this for over a year now and have found incredible strength from this alone.  I have made a list that is ever growing of things that are part of my armor.  I feel that these things are the vehicle for me to live in a way that I honor the covenants I have made with God.  I take very seriously Paul's commission to, "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."  My invitation to you all this week is to counsel with God in prayer and make a list of things that are a part of your armor. I know that  He will help you know the things you can do on a daily basis that will protect you and allow you to have the most Happiness and Joy in your life.  The purpose of this life is to have Joy and there is no other way to find it except through Jesus Christ.  I know that Elder Bednar was speaking truth when he said, "Making and keeping sacred covenants yokes us to and with the Lord Jesus Christ."  I believe many of you do certain things daily that you may not even realize are a part of your armor but I promise you that if you will take the time to write them down that God will show you even greater ways to become one with Him.  I know that Jesus is the Savior of the world.  By choosing to put on my armor daily I have been enabled to do things I know I could never do on my own.  I know we can do all things through Christ because He truly is the one that strengthens us. 
My companion, Elder Mckeachnie, will be finishing his mission this transfer and will head home this weekend!  Crazy how fast time flies but I am happy for him because he has chosen to work hard all the way to the end. 
Thank you all sooooo much for all the Christmas letters!  I had 21 pages of letters in my package at the Christmas conference!  I am so blessed to have you all.  Thanks so much for all you do for me! 
Love,

Elder Holland


No comments:

Post a Comment