Monday, December 22, 2014

Merry Christmas! 2014

Hey Fam!
Well things are still going great here in Great Falls!  The weather has been super warm and I am loving getting to know my new companion, Elder Fox.  I still laugh at our age differences but we have a ton in common.  He is 18 and has been out on his mission for about 5 months.  He grew up in Rancho Cucamonga, California.  He really prepared well to come serve a mission and I am very impressed with him.  I am looking forward to all I will learn from him this transfer. 
Our ward here is amazing!  They sent out a Christmas sign up sheet to have the Elders and Sisters over at different hours on Christmas Eve and Christmas.  We have a packed schedule of families to go visit, play games, and share a message on Christ with.  I'm sure I will eat a ridiculous amount of food.. again.. but it will be worth it :) 
I am sure by now all of you have watched the Christmas video the Church put out called, "He Is The Gift."  We have been sharing this with literally everyone for the past few weeks and it has had a profound influence on me.  Learning and teaching others how to Discover, Embrace, and Share the Gift has been life changing.  I am so grateful to KNOW that He is the Gift.  To know that God loved us so much that he sent His Son to make it possible to for us all to return Home to Heaven once again.  The Gift of our Savior is amazing to me because it is meant for ALL of God's children but it effects us all personally.  Salvation is for everyone but we receive it on a personal level.  Yes we are all brothers and sisters here and we help one another along the journey but ultimately it depends on what we each do as individuals that determines if we will be able to return to Heaven. 
I know so many people in life, especially those I have met on my mission, who are hesitant to move forward in the Gospel because they feel they will be leaving a loved one behind.  Many of them simply will not make or keep sacred covenants with God because they are waiting for the day that a sibling, or spouse, or friend will do it with them.  I feel this is one of the greatest tools Satan uses to keep people from progressing in this life.  In Matthew 19:29 the Savior said,"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life."  I don't believe the Savior is saying we need to leave everyone we love in the dust.  He is simply saying TRUST ME and it will be worth it.  There has never been an instance in the history of man where God has promised man something and did not deliver.  He says when we follow Him we will inherit an hundredfold and Eternal Life.  In my opinion, to TRUST him is not to leave others behind but to show them the way.  As we get closer to Christ personally we inevitably bring others with us.  

We all have things in life that are keeping us from being closer to our Savior.  As we enjoy the peace that comes this Christmas season I invite all of you to ponder your favorite sins you are holding on to and to make a resolve to let them go.  I promise you it will be worth it.  I have so far to go but am doing what I can to honor the Covenants I have made with God and I can say I have never been happier.  I have real and lasting JOY in my life.  I know that God is truly our Father in Heaven.  He loves us with a love we can not even begin to comprehend.  Everything He does is for our eternal benefit.  I know He sent His Son to pay our price so we could return to live with Him again.  I am so grateful for this knowledge and for the opportunity I have to share it with others.


Thank you all for all the love, letters, packages, and prayers you have sent my way.  I am so grateful for all of you.  I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and I look forward to seeing you on Skype! 
Love,

Elder Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment