Thursday, June 27, 2013

First week in Montana! April 9, 2013

Hey Fam!

So this week has been awesome! I love Montana, its such a different place.  I almost have no frame of reference but the people are amazing here.  The town is suuuuper small and everyone knows everyone.  The high school only has 180 kids!! We are volunteering there later today which should be cool.  The weather here is crazy!  The first few days it was soo nice and sunny and then 3 days ago it rained and then 2 days ago it snowed like crazy and today its back to sunny.  Not what i'm used to... but its great.  The wind is ridiculous at times... it will be nice and calm and then out of nowhere it will be like 40 mph winds.  The sunrise and sunsets here are so incredible! I now know completely why they call it Big Sky country :)  The people are so nice and accommodating. Last night was the first night we didn't have a dinner from a member which was nice actually cuz they feed us way too much and its hard to say no.  I really don't want to get fat!  They say the "average" missionary gains 30-40 lbs in this mission.  My mission, to prove them wrong. ;) 
President Mecham and Sister Mecham
But for such a small town its awesome how strong the ward is! I haven't met all of them yet cuz it was conference but I have been going around and getting acquainted with lots of them.  The ward here has about 150 active members!!! They have the biggest congregation in the area and its awesome. 

My area, three forks, covers 7 zip codes! So thankfully we have a truck! It's a 2011 Chevy Colorado 4WD and my companion doesn't have a license so I get to drive which is legit.  My companion has autism and ausbergers (I know I just butchered that word) but he is incredible.  there are some challenges to this but the benefits FAR outway them.  He has the most incredible memory of anyone I have ever met! He remembers every person he has ever met, their name, address, phone number, EXACTLY what was said when they met and muuuuuch more, it's incredible.  I love him. He and I are practicing 100% obedience and are already seeing the blessings for it :)  We have some investigators and less active members we are working with and if all goes to plan we should have a few baptisms here in a few weeks.

Tracting is awesome.  The people here are so funny, its hilarious.  Yesterday we were walking into home depot in Bozeman and the snow was flying sideways and it was 25 degrees and this crazy looking guy walks out, walks up to us, and screams, "Well the birds sure hate this today! I talked to the black fin red tailed hawk at my house this morning and he said he hated it!"  I couldn't help it, I just busted up laughing. 

Sorry this letter is late my p-day was yesterday but we got stuck waiting at the church for the new transfers from Billings but apparently there was a storm and they were a few hours late so we got permission to e-mail today,

We were playing dodge ball at the church yesterday preparing for this charity tournament we fund raised for this weekend and I rolled my ankle pretty bad.  Its swollen like a baseball currently but I already received a blessing and i'm confident it will heal soon :)

There are only 2 missionaries called as Spanish speakers and they are in my zone! I met them yesterday and one of them is from Guatemala and the other is Elder Rodriguez who is the son of the Rodriguez family in "the District".  They are very close to me and a bunch of elders basically told me at some point I will get to serve as a Spanish speaking elder which is awesome :)

Sorry this is so long, there is still a bunch more I have to say but i'm outa time... oh but we live in a little room attached to a house, The Price's, who are very nice and generous people and its a little different.  All we have to cook with is a hot plate and a microwave.  We have a fridge and access to laundry which is great. 

But I've been really thinking about why I feel so close to my Heavenly Father and my Savior all the time since I have been here and I finally figured it out.  We pray at least 15 times a day.  And that is it.  Obedience to the commandments is important but prayer is the key.  I know that as I continue to become closer to my Savior that I will be able to see Him work miracles for the people here in Montana. I am so excited to be here.  I know this Church is true and the truth is available to all who want to know through sincere, heartfelt prayer.

I love you all & I'll report back next Monday!
Elder Holland


No comments:

Post a Comment